Saturday, October 27, 2007

Do You Ever Miss the '90s?

Like most people my age, I'm always struck by the sensation that I was born too late. But if I could ride in a Time Machine, I wouldn't go back and catch the bullet that killed JFK, I'd go back to the time of my youth, the 1990s. It was a simpler time, and not just because my brain was mush.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDdokE1rAMw

Depending on your mood you will either find what you're watching horrific or a curiousity, but I hope it conjures up a time when giants like Ethan Hawke and Winona Ryder walked the earth.

According to Wikipedia, this song peaked at #72 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart in 1996 and was a strong alternative radio hit. Alternative radio, what the fuck is that? These days it would be absolutely absurd for a music video featuring what appears to be a bunch of cerebral palsy cases cavorting in the desert in panchos with the Navajos to recieve heavy play on MTV. Not that MTV plays music videos anymore, but then it was never under any obligation to, being Music Television, not Music Video Television.

Regardless, the ghosts of our youth are now relegated to sideshows at places like Bonaroo, too sad to live but too old to cry. Reality bites.

No comments: